We all go through it. Life gets busy, days turn into weeks, and before you know it, another year has gone by without the positive changes we need to move forward and evolve. Here are some big questions you can ask yourself to discover what parts of your life plan may need a lift.
Your body is one of your most important assets and keeping it healthy should be at the top of your list. What are you doing to ensure that you are keeping things in good working order?
- Are you eating the right foods? Eating a balanced breakfast, including lots of nutrient-rich fruits, vegetables and lean protein in your meals is just the start of what the USDA recommends when considering your diet. Check out their weight management plan here.
- Are you drinking enough water? Water makes up roughly 60 percent of your body weight! It’s no wonder we need to stay hydrated to ensure our organs and systems are performing optimally. The amount of water needed varies by person, but the Mayo Clinic recommends 9 cups for women and about 13 cups for men, daily.
- Do you exercise regularly? Finding a good workout routine can be hard, but don’t overthink it. Consider regular exercise as a way to keep your engines running. And if you’re just starting out, keep it simple – The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention advise moderate activity (i.e., brisk walking) for 30 minutes, 5 times a week, plus muscle-strengthening activities on 2 or more days a week. Staying active not only helps keep you physically fit, but also keeps you sharp too. Which leads us to….
Studies show that how you spend your time has a big impact on your mental health. Those who are more active, social, and challenge themselves in different ways tend to stay sharper longer.
- Are you challenging yourself enough? Performing a variety of activities, such as reading, solving puzzles, working with your hands, and strengthening your memory with games, helps keep your mind active. Make sure to mix it up every once in a while so you challenge your mind in different ways.
- Are you opening yourself up to new experiences? Staying social, taking a class on a new subject, or trying new things help us not only enhance our mind, but also make us more passionate about life and more interesting to others.
Your emotional well-being is a huge part of remaining happy and healthy, yet many people tend to overlook that part of their life. Are you performing the necessary activities to enrich your soul?
- Do you practice mindfulness? Staying mindful can help to boost your memory, reduce stress, stay calm, focus better, and makes us more satisfied in our relationships, according to the American Psychological Association.
- Do you practice gratitude? Being grateful helps us to focus on the good in life. Try starting a gratitude journal to become more optimistic and happier.
- Have you ever meditated? Regular meditation not only helps improve your health, but it can reduce stress, improve concentration, and increase self-awareness. Click here to learn some tips on how to start.
Often, our family is the strongest social network that we have. Do you make an effort to keep those ties strong?
- Do you set aside time to spend with them? Going on bike rides, cooking together, or even a weekly phone call helps to keep family relationships going strong.
- Do you have family traditions? Traditions can help turn ordinary events into more meaningful celebrations and bring one another together.
- Do you look for common interests? Finding ways to connect with family members can help strengthen ties.
You spend a lot of time in your chosen profession. Yet for many people, the demands of everyday life keep them from moving ahead or finding their true passion. Are you happy with what you are doing every day?
- Are you excited to go to work every day? If the answer is no, ask yourself why. Do you enjoy your career but not your current company? Do you like the company but not your direct manager? Do you feel uninspired by your profession? Figure out what is important to you and make the changes to improve your happiness in your work life.
- Are you ready for a promotion? Do you feel you are ready to take on a new role or responsibility? Don’t wait for a promotion to come to you – go get it! Here are some ways to ask for a promotion.
Taking the time to examine your life and where you want to be will help get you back to the path you want to be on!
Tell us: How do you handle getting out of a rut?